haley
my name is haley. i'm wild about stationery and paper goods and make them accordingly. i am a product of washington, dc. also i live there. i like acorns and cats and pop music and all that other stuff that everybody likes. let's be friends.
View my complete profile

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

got ideas for stationery you'd like to see? custom work? wanna say hello? i love hearing back!

ELSEWHERE

MY FLICKR!!

breadofmany. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Blog Archive

PIED PIPER

Saturday, August 7, 2010

SHOW & TELL : PSEUDO-ADVENTURES IN BOOKBINDING!

hello, kids! wanna see some stuff i made one time??
YES, GOOD!! LET'S SNEAKY-PEEK!
LITTLE-KNOWN BUT COMPLETE &TOTAL FACT : 
  • BOOKBINDING is officially my newest &totes most favorite pastime in all of the land!!                   
#1 hobby-style supreme!!

..I haven't even been doing it a year, so obviously I still have a ton more to learn before I can be crowned King of all the Books and open my own technicolored bookbinding dojo.. or whatever..
..but even as a beginner I'm completely infatuated with the whole process.. it can take a long time but it is just so satisfying when it's finished.

check it :

For some reason I have a much much much easier time working hard on a project as long as the end result is intended as a gift for a person I like lots. It sort of gives me an excuse to make.

Soooo, with this in mind, I recently decided to make a gifty little set of blank book-babies for my singularly all-star champ of an older sister..

I printed all the patterened papers myself, using kits from A Print A Day's digital shop Parasol Co. as well as designs from Reprodepot Pattern Book : Folk (which, btdubs, is a *sick* resource.. it's endlessly useful and inspirational)

The books are small, a little less than 4 inches square, so I made a slipcase-style home for the little guys (now they'll never get lost!). The slipcase was also a chance (read : excuse) for me to flex my box-making skills(nerd nerd  nerd) 


The inside pages of each book were made with a lightweight paper that coordinated with the cover pattern. The paper was cut into strips and accordion folded before being glued into the covers, which were made beforehand. Making the covers first gives the glue time to dry while you bind the bookblock. yay!
(sidenote : making accordion fold books is so so fast and so so easy, which leaves you more time to do things like.. say, build a slipcase. I always feel like I'm cheating a bit when I make this type of book because of how quick it is, but that's insane.)

I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. They're pretty adorable and the size is just right : Small enough to  bring along in your bag, big enough to actually be able to write/draw/glue things into.

I can't wait to see what my sister fills them with! I have a plan to make a whole bunch of these and document a month in each one.

best sib-sis I ever had!

4 comments:

Lulu said...

oh that looks so fun =]

Roxanne Carter said...

those are awesome! & amazing you printed out the paper, it looks really nice :)

haley said...

yeah, i've gotten really into printing patterns out myself..

(a.k.a. i've gotten really into hording printable patterns)

haley said...

p.s. thanks! i've been shy to show my books but i'm going to start doing it more<3